MASTERCLASS: Passivhaus Delivery, ensuring quality and managing risk
|Date: 17 February 2014||Time: 11.00 -17.30|
|Location: Saint Gobain Innovation Centre, 95 Great Portland Street London W1W 9NY||Cost: PHT members: £150 + VAT; Non-members: £200 + VAT.|
Passivhaus Certification requires consistent robust checks throughout construction to ensure that projects are built as designed and that quality assurance is maintained.
This masterclass, limited to around 20 participants and led by Mark Siddall, Nick Grant and Bill Butcher, some of the UK’s most experienced practitioners in delivering successful Passivhaus projects, focuses on what to look out for when quoting for, specifying, designing, building and commissioning Passivhaus projects. The workshop will include examination of several practical projects and discussion of practical construction applications.
The workshop aims to answer important construction questions, such as:
- How to influence design decisions at tender stage? Key risks and what to be aware of at design stage.
- What are the critical stages for performance checks and where are the main cross-over risks?
- What are prominent construction issues: e.g training of site workers, management of sub-contractors, contract conditions/ incentives.
- What are crucial construction and commissioning key risk areas eg MVHR/ air-tightness, and how to manage these effectively?
- Does managing processes/construction on bigger sites need to be addressed differently?
Who should attend?
This course is particularly aimed at those responsible for managing the construction activities of Passivhaus projects, including architects, quantity surveyors, site managers, construction managers and others who want to learn more on how to deliver Passivhaus quality on actual construction projects.
11:00 – 12:15: Intro - Why bother with Quality Assurance – the performance gap and the PH QA approach
Part 1: Understanding and influencing design proposals and contract documents, including risk management plus Q&A
Part 2: Planning and sequencing construction works – key stages, training requirements etc with case study examples
13:00 – 14:00: Lunch
14:00 - 15:00: Part 3: Building envelope quality control & performance checks – common problems and case study example
15.00 - 15.30: Exercise: Building envelope practical session; what to look for when managing construction, what commonly goes wrong
15:30- 16:00: tea & coffee break
16:00 - 17:00: Part 4: Services quality control & performance checks – common problems and case study example
17.00- 17.30: Exercise: Services – practical session; what to look for when managing construction, what commonly goes wrong
17:30: Close + Final survey.
How to book:
Contact Roger Southcott at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include name, contact details, organisation name along with details of the following:
1. Current knowledge level/background of the workshop topic?
2. Any specific issues/knowledge/questions you would like us to cover in the workshop?
Due to popular demand, a similar masterclass will be run in late March/ early April (London location to be confirmed) with a focus on smaller scale projects and self builds. If you are booked on the February course but would like to switch to the later masterclass, please contact Roger on the email above.