Oakmeadow Primary School
|Completion Status: Completed October 2011||Occupancy: Occupied|
|Architect: Architype||Consultant: E3 - services engineer; Nick Grant & Alan Clarke - Passivhaus consultant|
|Contractor: Thomas Vale Construction||Client: Wolverhampton City Council|
|Share this project:|
Oakmeadow primary school is one of the first in the country achieve Passivhaus certification (February 2012). The school is designed to Passivhaus only because Architype recommended it to the client, Wolverhampton City Council and Architype responded to their challenge that it was fine to achieve Passivhaus within the budget and tight timescale.
Features of the innovative approach:
- Designing with the client through a collaborative process to express their ethos and meet their needs
- Working with a fully integrated design team from day one
- Integrating Passivhaus into the design from first principles, using PHPP to inform and drive the design
- Adopting a two-storey optimised form to maximise thermal performance
- Working closely with the contractor and their supply chain- from initial Passivhaus briefings, to detailed technical workshop, and rigorous site inspections.