|Location: Ditchingham, Norfolk|
|Completion Status: Summer 2012||Occupancy: Occupied Summer 2012|
|Architect: Parsons + Whittley||Consultant: Davis Langdon|
|Contractor: Bramall Construction||Client: Hastoe Housing Association|
|Share this project:|
Ditchingham Passivhaus provides 14 rural exception site dwellings for local needs affordable housing to the Passivhaus standard in a single curved terrace. Achieving Passivhaus certification through BRE as a complete block means some dwellings will perform better than others. Early monitoring of 9 units shows performances within the anticipated range.
Maintaining internal temperatures averaging around 21 – 22 degrees whilst preserving an internal air quality of around 800ppm CO2 along with a relative humidity of 55% provides a very comfortable internal environment.
The scheme is in a conservation area, adjacent Tayler & Green Grade II listed buildings. Any appreciation of the scheme requires an understanding of the Tayler & Green legacy and their innovative approach to rural housing.
Innovative thermal bridge free foundation and floor slab detailing and the use of a 300mm fully insulated cavity along with simplicity of detailing and construction have delivered the exacting Passivhaus performance and reflect the Tayler & Green historic context.
The properties achieve Code for Sustainable Homes level 4, (subject to certification). Code addresses a number of sustainable elements including:
- Internal Water Use – less than 105 Litres/Person/Day
- Materials – All of the key elements of the building envelope achieve a Green Guide rating between A+ and C
- Surface Water Drainage – using SuDS techniques, protecting receiving waters from pollution and minimising the risk of flooding and other environmental damage in watercourses.
- Sound Insulation – The dwellings have sound insulation values are at least 5dB better than the Building Regulations.
- Lifetimes Homes –Joseph Rowntree Lifetime Homes standard.
- Ecology & Bio-diversity –enhanced above the original.
“I love living in my new home, I couldn’t ask for more. Its very spacious and thanks to the large windows there is lots of natural light. The mechanical ventilation system is very simple to use … does all the work, maintaining a comfortable temperature ….”